Saturday, January 19, 2013

ROUND ABOUT MIDNIGHT....

My little elf slept soundly and my creature of creativity was awakened.  These are the fruits of my endeavors. Sometimes rocks call out to me, "pick me up and put me in your pocket, carry me home with you," and so I do.  The two larger grey rocks were found right here in upstate New York and the little golden rock...in my beloved New Forest home in England. I believe I will be posting some of these on my etsy store http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheAcornCabinet?ref=pr_shop_more
but I am not so sure that I can part with the smaller golden rock as it is so very special to me.  I turned it into a god/dess sacred rock.  With these rocks I peer into them until I see images form.. usually faces appear immediately.  I start by drawing the faces and then I progress from there.  The second picture shows the god side of the god/dess rock.  This was the side that I created first, as I saw the face.  It is also a moon/sun stone as the god is associated with the sun and the goddess with the moon.  
 The largest of the rocks seemed to call out to be turned into an oak leaf/acorn, so I have drawn the sort of logo for my shop.  I have a story behind the silver dots.  These tiny dots appear in my work over and over again.  It all started when I was a child (seven years old or thereabouts) at Stourfield First School.  My classmates and I created masks for a play, "The Firebird", and my mask was very intricate with these swirly dots in jewel tones.  To my child mind/spirit these swirly dots represented magic, perhaps fairy dust, but they were the workings of a spell.  Over the years I seemed to gravitate away from this, but from time to time they would sneak into my work.  During my art school days, I found this style again and it has stayed with me ever since.
I am swarming with ideas, but have far too little time to pursue all of them.  And yet, I have a feeling that most of them will come into being one way or another.
This was my creative spell last night, does anyone else have similar late night creative musings?









2 comments:

  1. i have a rock i found (or did it find me?) here on the coast of Anchorage. i am not the only one who is quite certain there is someone possessing it beyond its own natural stony spirit. i think it has a ghost. or something. i keep it in my purse. sometimes i find comfort in know it is nearby. other times, i find it unsettling.

    rather than stay up late, i often wake in the wee hours & cannot quiet my mind. it would be wise of me to use that time rather than engage in the ongoing battle for sleep. i should take an ounce of your wisdom.

    i sent you a note via blogger friend-something. i don't understand how it works or if you ever saw it, but mostly i just want you to know i am delighted to find you!

    i love the baybay. mine is not quite so little, still but oh so snuggly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling the rock found you! :) I do take advantage of the still times when my wee lad sleeps, but only if I can manage to stay awake myself. Sometimes my best creations are born during these times. I am not quite sure how the blogger friend system works either and haven't discovered your note yet. I am delighted to have found a kindred spirit as well!! I so enjoy reading your posts and find myself grateful to know there is someone out there who interacts with the natural/spirit world as I do.

    ReplyDelete