Sunday, January 13, 2013

Today was a most magical sort of day.  Although we believe it to be winter, one could easily imagine it to be spring.  It was the perfect day to walk across the heathland in an attempt to find hawk feathers.  There is this hawk that we see every day on our drive into town... always perched in the same tree.  Sometimes there is a pair of them.  Today they were nowhere in sight and even the hundreds of crows that have recently taken up residence had gone off to enjoy the warm weather elsewhere.  It was such a gorgeous day and I was reminded of early Spring in the New Forest (around February) and my routine of walking towards Longslade Bottom from my village of Sway.  I would usually happen upon a pony (or two or ten), so that was definitely lacking, but otherwise the view is quite like the forest.  The breeze was warm and almost, almost I could imagine it to be the fresh sea air that I so miss.  We took the opportunity to attempt to photograph the beauty around us and I will post those photographs here.
We decided to explore around the tree where we so often see the hawk(s) perched.  We found some animal bones and a couple of feathers (not hawk), which was quite exciting.  As we were about to leave we decided to have one last look round and discovered... the remains of a hawk.  I wonder if it is the same hawk that we so often saw and how it met with the hand of death?  I wonder if this means that the hawk totem that has been following me around since my birthday has served its purpose and now it is time to move on to the next lesson?  Time will tell.





No comments:

Post a Comment